Don’t worry… I know it’s way too early for me to actually begin packing a hospital bag for Bonnie’s birth! But since I’m a planner I thought I would share my list of what I plan to pack so that any of you who have already given birth can give me your two cents worth! The more input the better, so please feel free to chime in!
I want to be prepared, but I do not want to lug a bunch of crap to the hospital that we are not going to need. The extra clutter would just stress me out. (:
- Receiving blanket
- Hand sanitizer: For quick clean up after diaper changes.
- A few onesies: I want to bring a couple different sizes since we aren’t sure what size she will be when she gets here.
- Special going home outfit: I’ll have a few onesies to pick from just to be on
the safe side, but I’ll also pack a headband, leg warmers, and socks for Bonnie.
- Nail clippers: These happen to be the same ones my mom used on me when I was a newborn.
- Comb: Because I have a feeling Bonnie is going to have a head full of hair!
- Vaseline: I’ve heard that covering a baby’s bottom with this after diaper changes will help it be easier to wipe off meconium.
- Nasal aspirator: This is something else that I’ve heard can be a life-saver for getting tiny boogers out of tiny nostrils. (I’ve heard many women say that their hospitals provided these; however, I’d rather have an extra than not have one at all!)
I think that’s about it for Bonnie’s hospital bag (aka: diaper bag.)
Now for my bag…
- Warm, fuzzy socks: I get cold easily, and want to be prepared!
- Robe: The woman who took us on our hospital tour suggested bringing a robe, as the hospital gowns are open in the back.
- Big, comfy undies
- Nursing tank
- Nursing bra: A friend who had a baby three months ago has told me that this is a must.
- Disposable breast pads: The same friend I just mentioned also recommended packing these.
- After-delivery outfit: I’m thinking of splurging on a new pair yoga pants or nice sweat pants/pajama pants, paired with a nursing tank or a flowy, loose button-up sleep shirt, and maybe a light sweater.
- Going home outfit: It’ll be nice and hot here in Georgia, so I’m leaning towards a flowy maxi dress.
- Gum: I don’t want bad breath or a dry mouth!
- Pen: For paperwork.
- Hair tie
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Body wash
- Shampoo/Conditioner??? I will pack it just in case we are at the hospital for a long time, but I’m not positive that I’ll wash my hair at the hospital. It depends on how long we are there. I have such thick hair. Washing, drying, and styling it is such a pain, and I would rather do this in the comfort of my own home. I will only wash my hair at the hospital if I am in the hospital for a few days or more. Otherwise, a messy bun of dirty hair will do just fine for a little while! Is this totally gross?
- Bonnie’s baby book
- Cell phone and charger
- Birth plan (with multiple copies)
- Goodie bags for nurses
That’s all I can think of for me.
Now moving on to Andrew’s bag…
- Cell phone and charger
- Laptop and charger
- School books to study (although, if she comes on or a bit after her due date, Andrew will be on break, so he might not need to study!)
- Snacks (for himself, and for me for after Bonnie’s birth while we are still at the hospital.)
- Several bottles of water
- Change of clothes
- Contacts, glasses, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant
So… is there anything I’m leaving off the list that you think I should bring? Or anything I’m bringing that you do not think I will need? I would LOVE some feedback here, because obviously, I’ve never done this before…