We officially have only ONE month until Bonnie is full-term (she’s full-term on June 1st.) So the reality that it is getting close to “crunch time” is finally setting in. In response, I’ve made a small dent in our pre-baby checklist this week. Here’s what I’ve gotten done this week:
- Birth plan finalized and printed.
- File folder made and ready to be filled.
- Take an online breastfeeding course.
- Bought some paper plates.
So here is the updated checklist:
Finish the nursery-DONE! I will post pictures shortly. Detail my car-Andrew did this for me a few weeks ago, and I’ve done really well with keeping it clean since then, but I still wouldn’t mind detailing it once more before Bonnie’s arrival.
- Deep clean the house- I’ve done this several times, but want to do it for the last time as close to when she’s going to get here as possible, which is difficult since there is no way to know exactly when that will be.
- Stock up on freezer meals– My sister is visiting toward the middle/end of May, and she and I are going to tackle this together.
Stock up on paper plates, cups, bowls, and napkins–Decided not to really “stock up,” but I have picked up some things when I’ve been out and about. Wash baby clothes, wash cloths, burp cloths, bibs, sheets, diapers, etc.– Finally done! I just finished washing the last of her diapers this week. Make my own baby wipes-Finished this with my mom’s help. Get our cloth diaper stash ready, and our cloth diapering station organized. Make this file folder for all the paperwork that comes along with having a baby– This is on my “to do” list for next week, but I may get around to it this weekend. Here are the categories I plan on using: birth certificate/social security card, keepsakes, milestones, pediatrician visits, chiropractic visits, immunization waivers, health records, Christian Healthcare Ministries paperwork, nursing/feeding info, receipts/warranties, manuals, miscellaneous.
Pre-register with the hospital
- Install car seat bases
- Get installed car seat inspected
Select a pediatrician
- Pack a hospital bag- Here is my hospital bag checklist.
Make a final decision about vaccinations-We decided not to vaccinate. You can read why here.
Schedule newborn photo session Make a decision about insurance for Bonnie-We are going withChristian Healthcare Ministries, a great alternative to health insurance that Andrew already uses.
- Buy stamps
- Decide whether or not we are going to send out birth announcements- I’m leaning toward NOT sending these.
Call my insurance to see if they will help with the cost of a breastpump– No such luck. Select a breast pump Take this online breastfeeding course– Finish The Motherly Art of Breastfeeding-Although overwhelming, this is going to turn out to be a great resource!
Things that were not on the original list, but should have been:
Take hospital tour
- Cover our mattress with a waterproof pad in case my water breaks at home in bed.
- Practice and perfect the swaddle.
Read Moms on Call–This is going to be my go-to book, and their website is also very helpful.
- Wash/sanitize all the pieces and parts of the breast pump.
- Put together goodie bags for nurses- I’ve gotten a great start on this, but am not quite done yet.
Print several copies of my birth plan-This is done, and you can read my birth plan here. Buy an album/scrapbook for Baby-This is so that I can immediately begin documenting Bonnie’s life. I’d hate to get behind before we even get started just because I don’t have a good album! Stock up on pads and panty liners-Thick ones, thin ones, nighttime ones, daytime ones….
***I have practiced the swaddle, but I’ve not marked it off the list yet because I think I still need more practice!
On our to-do list for this weekend is to get the car seat bases installed in both mine and Andrew’s vehicles. I realize it’s pretty early to do this already, but…
1) I am a planner, and I’d much rather be prepared ahead of time than go into labor knowing that our car seat bases are not installed.
2) Andrew won’t admit it, but he is also a bit of a planner. Getting them installed this weekend was actually his idea.
3) Andrew WILL admit that he is a creature of habit… right down to where he likes to put all of his stuff in his truck. He likes his books, his backpack, and his gym bag to all be in a certain place in a certain way. The car seat is going to interfere with his “system,” and so he says he needs some time to adjust to having it there before Bonnie arrives.
And here is the first page of Bonnie’s first photo album!