Instead of posting a new weekly meal plan, I thought I’d share with you all what we actually ate last week. Click here to see the meal plan for last week. That’s what I thought we would be eating, and we certainly had good intentions.
But here’s what we ate instead:
- Monday: Chicken and rice casserole (my mom’s recipe… simple, cheap, healthy.) Not on the original meal plan.
- Tuesday: Frozen pizza (we always have a couple of these on hand for days when we are running low on groceries or when Andrew is home alone. On this particular day, Andrew came home for dinner unexpectedly, instead of going straight from school to his study group. He specifically wanted pizza, so we splurged.) DEFINITELY not on the original meal plan.
- Wednesday: Fish fillet with mac n’ cheese and broccoli on the side. On the original meal plan.
- Thursday: Spicy roasted vegetable mac n’ cheese. Not on the original meal plan. (Can you tell I was craving mac n’ cheese last week?)
- Friday: Spicy roasted vegetable mac n’ cheese leftovers. Not on the original meal plan.
- Saturday: Hamburgers
- Sunday: Leftovers
- Tomato sandwiches
- Leftover chicken and rice casserole
- Leftover pizza
- Quinoa spinach mac n’ cheese
We stuck to our breakfast plan pretty perfectly. Andrew had smoothies each morning, and I had mixed berries with a hard-boiled egg and three small cubes of cheese. Every morning.
One of the great things about having a meal plan in place each week, whether you stick to it 100% or not, is that at least you know you have plenty of food for the week. You won’t feel the need to grab fast food, or make extra trips to the grocery store during the week, so you are saving money.
Overall, we did not eat as healthily as we usually do, and by the time the weekend was over I was feeling kind of “blah.” It’s a amazing the difference diet can make in your mood and energy level! We will be back on track this week though!
For the New Week:
Our shopping list for the new week was on the short side, as we had a nearly fully stocked pantry and freezer already.
Here is what we bought for the new week:
- Brown rice
- Romaine lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Refried beans
Smoothies/ Fruit/ Hard-boiled eggs
I am heading to Nashville on Wednesday afternoon, and Andrew is following Thursday night. We won’t be back until sometime Sunday afternoon or evening, so this week’s meal plan only goes through Thursday.
Monday: Grilled chicken with roasted veggies
Tuesday: Soup and salad (Andrew does not come home for dinner on Tuesdays, so I’m flying solo.)
Wednesday: Spaghetti with whole grain noodles
Thursday: Spaghetti leftovers
- Salad in a jar (with grilled chicken)
- Leftover grilled chicken with roasted veggies
- Soup and salad
- Bean burritos
- Fruit with peanut butter
- Nuts/ trail mix
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Whole grain crackers with cheese
Food Prep for the Week:
This week’s food prep was quick and easy, and involved grilling chicken for salads, and making a few salads in jars for the first half of the week. I made the spaghetti on Tuesday, since I knew I would not be home to do it on Wednesday.