As I’ve previously mentioned, our egg retrieval a couple weeks ago resulted in 50 eggs. Of those 50 eggs, 39 of them fertilized. Finally, 17 of them made it to the blastocycst stage, which is when the embryos get frozen. We were surprised at how low that number was, since there were so many eggs that fertilized. But we were okay with it.
Our doctor suggested that we have those 17 embryos biopsied so that we would know which ones to use for our transfer(s). This is not something I had ever considered doing, but since my doctor recommended it, and since I really do trust her, we decided to go ahead with the biopsy.
My IVF nurse called today, and much to my shock and disappointment, only 4 of the 17 embryos were “normal.” The rest had abnormalities, and we will not be able to use them for transfer. So we have 4 embryos IF they all survive the thawing process. Based on things I’ve read, we should not expect all 4 embryos to survive the thawing process… 2 or 3 at best.
Andrew does not seem bothered by all of this news, but I am very discouraged. I think scared may be a better way to describe how I am feeling. Scared. And confounded.
I started a period Monday, birth control pills Tuesday, and an anti-biotic Wednesday. I will go in for a baseline ultrasound when I finish two-weeks-worth of birth control and start another period. After the baseline, I will start wearing estrogen patches, and eventually Andrew will start giving me progesterone shots every couple of days.
Originally, we had decided with our doctor that we would transfer two embryos; however, my nurse indicated on the phone today that Dr. MK may end up encouraging us only to transfer one. At this point, I am just praying that there will be at least two thawed embryos to transfer! We will decide after we meet with Dr. MK on the exact number we would like transferred. If she does indeed only think we would transfer one embryo, I would like to understand her reasoning before making a final decision.