Unfortunately, I don’t have a PCOS meal plan ready for you today. We are in the midst of packing up and moving, so half our kitchen is in boxes. This means our meals have been pretty sporadic (and kind of pathetic) recently.
In spite of the maze of boxes overwhelming our house right now, I am pretty much loving life these days. Bonnie is so wonderful. Andrew is over halfway done with this quarter in school, which means he’s also over halfway done with the program. The holidays are upon us…
My list could go on, because this is just a really sweet time in our lives.
Thank you God, for all seasons of life!
I’ve tried to be very intentional lately about being thankful for even the little things, both good and not so good. And it’s made such a difference in my attitude these past few weeks.
In recognizing the little goodies that each day holds, I’ve made a little list (Yes, I still love lists!) of eight simple things that make my days that much sweeter. But there is a catch: None of these things have to do with Bonnie, babies in general, or my husband. These are all just small things in my life, and my life alone, that are not dependent on anyone else… Just tiny nuggets of happiness that brighten my days when I remember to pause and be thankful for them.
10 Simple Things that Make My Days Sweeter:
1) A morning cup of coffee- albeit decaf!
2) The “snooze” button- I think I read somewhere that sleep experts say not to utilize the snooze button, but for me, pressing it a couple times gives me several minutes to just lay there, relaxed, praying, and wrapping my mind around the day that lies ahead. By the time I do actually need to get out of bed, I feel pumped up and ready for the day to begin!
3) Quiet time with God- usually coinciding with my morning coffee, or immediately before.
4) Allergy spray- The days I forget this, my eyes are puffy and my nose is runny by lunchtime!
5) Vitamins and supplements- On the days I remember my vitamins, I have so much more energy than on the days I forget them.
6) Getting myself dressed- Even if it means changing from pajamas to yoga pants… Taking even ten minutes to get “ready” each day helps make me much more productive and engaged with Bonnie throughout the day.
7) Taking a walk outside- Even just a short walk helps to break up the day. Not only does it rejuvenate me, but I can tell Bonnie enjoys it too. When we are home all day, every day, the change of scenery is incredibly energizing and refreshing.
8) Eating healthily- Now that I have two babies with me all day, this is much more easily said than done! But when I do actually do it, what a difference it makes!
9) Adult conversation- I LOVE listening to Bonnie and Luke babble throughout the day, but somewhere along the way I have realized that it is important to take with grown ups too! On days that are particularly taxing or lonely, a phone call from my parents or sister at the end of the day can really hit the spot.
10) A hot bath- Taking a hot bath before bed is the perfect way to end a day that was filled with bending down to pick up babies and carseats, carrying babies that seem to be getting heavier by the minute, crawling on the floor with them… you get the idea. On the nights when Bonnie goes to bed on schedule, I am usually able to do fifteen or twenty minutes of yoga before my bath, which makes it even more relaxing!
The funny thing is that once I started making a list of little things I was thankful for, it got easier and easier to think of more things. This list could have been hundreds of items longer! Of course, you’d get tired of reading, and I’d get tired of typing, so ten seemed like a good number to end on.
Learning to give thanks for everything, in every moment… all day long is slowly changing my life and my faith. It’s a really fun challenge, and I’d encourage you to join in!
Be sure to pop back in on Wednesday for a special guest post!