At the end of each year, Andrew and I write a list of miracles we are praying for in the year ahead. We started doing this the first year we were married, and every year since then, God has answered every prayer! He has not always answered in the ways we thought He would, or in the ways we thought we wanted Him to, but He’s always given us an answer.
Here is the list we wrote at the end of last year, for 2013 (Find the original list here):
- For “Baby A.” We know that Jesus has our baby safely in His keeping, but we would love nothing more than to have him or her here with us. We prayed for this last year too, but God’s answer to us seemed to be for us just to wait…
- For Andrew to get successfully through each quarter in school this year. He is working so hard!
- For me to make some friends here! This seems to be so much easier said than done!
- For God to bring an outlet of ministry into my life so that I can be effective for His kingdom… so that I can splash His living water! 🙂
- That God would begin to prepare the perfect practice for Andrew to buy when the time comes, and that He would continue to prepare Andrew for that practice!
And God has done all of these things and MORE:
- We heard our baby’s heartbeat on November 6, 2013. When I wrote our original miracle list, I really thought we would be holding our baby in our arms by the end of the year, but God never seems to be in the same rush that we are!
- Andrew has had a few bumps along the way, but he is doing wonderfully in school, and has made it through each quarter relatively unscathed.
- I’ve finally made a couple friends (umm… literally two.) I’ve made one really great friend who has been a tremendous encouragement and support, and another who is a new mommy herself, and cannot wait to go baby shopping with me. Another way God answered this prayer was by putting me in touch with new friends through this blog. That has been a huge and unexpected blessing!
- God did bring an outlet of ministry into my life, and I started singing on the praise team at church. I don’t sing every week, but when I do, I absolutely love it. And it has also helped me meet more people at church. I wouldn’t call them friends quite yet, but maybe they will be one day!
- We, of course, do not know the status of our prayer for God to prepare a practice for Andrew, but I do know that he has refined and challenged and prepared Andrew for that practice over the course of this year. I can hardly believe how much Andrew has grown up since we moved here!
As Thanksgiving quickly approaches, it is all I can do to wrap my mind around everything that has transpired in our little family this year. The year has flown, but there have been days and weeks that have felt long, painful, and almost unbearable.
Fertility treatments made the weeks and months pass slowly. Andrew’s school schedule made his days drag on. But looking back over the year, I cannot believe we are reaching its end. And as I sit here, contemplating everything that’s happened and everything that has changed this year, one thing has stayed the same: God’s hand has been in every event, both big and small, that has happened in our lives over the past eleven months. I can look back now and see that, in the bleakest of times, His hand was there carrying us. In the loneliest of nights, His voice was singing over us. He has been in every victory and in every disappointment. He has made every event of this year, both the good and the bad ones, work together for our good. He has been faithful, and He has exceeded our wildest expectations.
His timing is perfect. His ways are perfect. That is what I see when I look back over this hard, hard year. The struggles that seemed so insurmountable, and all-consuming… they all fade away in the midst of God’s glory, and in the face of goodness and grace.
There is just no one like Him. He is huge enough and powerful enough to have created the universe, and to hold everything together. He is big enough to hold our entire lives in the palm of His hand. And He is small enough to care about our measly little miracle list, about our day-to-day, and most of all, about our hearts.
What a crazy, creative, awesome God we serve!
P.S.- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAMA!
I don’t know how I would have made it through this year without you. Thank you for being a constant source of prayer, encouragement, and support in my life, especially over this past year! And thank you for being my voice of reason when I so often need it.