Today’s fresh insight is actually not about food. But it is about what is an important aspect of living a full, healthy, whole life. And that is cleanliness and organization.
A Clean Home
A clean home is a happy home? I realize that is not necessarily true, but I know that my outlook on life is much better if my house is clean and tidy. My relationship with my husband is better if our house is in order. Although I do believe God is a God of surprises, and of unexpected twists and turns, I do not believe He is a God of chaos or disorder. In fact, God makes order our of chaos. And when our home is in disorder, it is so easy for other things in our lives to begin falling into disorder as well.
Here are some things that help me keep our house clean:
- Fold and put away the laundry immediately after it is finished washing and drying. Otherwise, we tend to let it sit, and sit, and sit… and it clutters the house, and when we finally remember to finish it, it is wrinkly and needs to be doctored up. No fun.
- Keep a couple basic cleaning supplies in every room. I use Lysol Disinfecting Wipes like they are going out of style. I keep them in each bathroom, the kitchen, the laundry room, and in two bedrooms. That way, they are accessible no matter where I am in the house. I have no excuse to let a mess, or dust, go unattended!
- We store as many kitchen appliances out of sight as possible. This helps our limited counter space look a bit less limited, and the kitchen look cleaner in general.
- I clean the bathrooms at least weekly, and clean my counter top daily (my long hair gets everywhere in no time). It just helps me feel cleaner! (:
- I am CONSTANTLY taking things to Goodwill… mostly clothes. If something goes for a lengthy period of time without being used, it goes immediately into the “Goodwill” pile, which is located in the garage.
Here are some places where you can read up on other people’s ideas for keeping their homes tidy:
- 15 Clutter-busting techniques for any family
- Deep cleaning monthly schedule... no need to be legalistic about this one, but these are some great ideas and guidelines to follow.
- Weekly chore list that calls for NO CLEANING on Saturday and Sunday!
An Organized Home
I believe God wants His children to be good stewards of our time. Being organized is the best way to do this. I am by no means super-organized, but I really do try! It gives me such a peace of mind when I know that everything has a proper place, and everything is in its proper place. When my home
is organized, my thoughts are more organized, my work and my day are more organized, and life is simply more enjoyable!
A couple things I do to help keep myself organized:
- I keep a coupon binder. This way, I do not have paper clippings laying around our house that create clutter but never get used. My binder is pretty, it is organized, and I keep it in my car except for the one day each week when I set aside time to organize the coupons.
- Each evening, I make a “to do” list for the next day. This helps me keep my schedule in order, and be productive throughout the day. It is good to have daily goals!
Here are some of my favorite organizing resources:
- I Heart Organizing is a BEAUTIFUL blog with so many great ideas!
- 31 days to cheaply organize your home
- 7 Habits of Highly Organized People
- Here is a family binder that Jenn uses to keep herself and her family organized!
One thing I have tried and been repeatedly unsuccessful with is menu planning; however, due to some recent changes in our lives and in our schedules, I plan on trying again! Will keep you posted on how that goes…